Link to Historical Articles
Overview of the History of Dodge County as taken from various sources
- The first white person to visit Dodge County may have been a French fur trader from Canada.
- In 1853 Peter and Riley Mantor came to the present site of Mantorville and established their claim.
- In 1854 a small group of immigrants arrived at Mantorville. The next day they continued to Concord and erected a log hours for James M. Sumner, the first residence built in the county.
- In 1849 Dodge County was a part of Wabasha County and in 1851 it was divided between Wabasha and Dakota Counties.
- Dodge became a County in 1855.
- Early settlers were predominately English.
- The Mantorville Express (July 16, 1857), the first paper published in Dodge County lists Attorneys, a physician, Steamboat Agent, No. 11, A of F & M meet in the Masonic Hallowell, Boot and Shoe Manufacturer, the Hubbell House.
- In 1865 the Dodge County Board of Commissioners chose Lots 1,2,3, of Block 22, Mantorville Village as a site for the erection of the county court house. Total cost was $15,000 and is the only original working Court House in Minnesota.
- 1858 County Commissioners divided the county into Townships.
- 1855 the first school district in Dodge County was organized.
- 1857 the Dodge County Agricultural Society was organized and held a Fair in Mantorville, the first county fair in the Minnesota Territory.
Don’t forget that the Historical Society has re-printed the early history of Dodge County published in 1884. Dodge County Historical Society is located in Mantorville, Minnesota. It is housed in the St Johns Episcopal Church building also known as the “Hilltop Church”. The building was built in 1869 of native limestone It’s first minister was Peter Ruth. Rumor has it that our resident ghost is Sarah Ruth and is buried somewhere under the church. This building holds historical artifacts and research archives. The Society evolved from an organization called “Dodge County Old Settlers”, organized in the 1880’s. Changed to the Historical Society became official in 1948. The Society is managed by a Board Of Directors elected by the membership at each annual meeting. Limited funding is received from Dodge County and the Society raises funds each year to maintain exhibits and artifacts and to provide funds for upkeep, repair and maintenance of the buildings.
This page has the following sub pages.